Friday, July 4, 2008

Sex and Money

Yesterday while out and about running errands, that old '80's song, "Livin' in the Wild, Wild West" came on the radio. There is a line that says, "Gimme gimme safe sex". So Bobby says, "Mom, what's safe sex?" Great.

Now I am a mom who believes in answering honestly. He has already had the rundown about how babies are born and due to a trip to the pharmacy with him a few weeks ago, he knows that there is "special medicine mommy takes that keeps her from having more babies". He's an inquisitive one, this kid.

Anyhoo, I decided not to give him the full rundown on STD's, but since he already sort of knew about birth control I told him that it meant that you were careful when you had sex to make sure that you weren't going to have a baby. So then he wanted to go over the whole "How you make a baby" which is fine, but really? I just wanted to go to Target.

Thankfully, he was diverted by driving by our bank which brought up his favorite topic, money. He had to go through all the different ways you could acquire big bills. Forget one dollar bills, my kid likes fives, tens and twenties. It is his dream to have a fifty or one hundred dollar bill.

He always says stuff like, "If I saved up three weeks worth of allowance and added the money I already have I could go to the bank and get a ten and a five and still have some ones". I tell him that is correct. "If I saved up my allowance for two months and added the money I have I could get a twenty and a ten, if I had some change from my piggy bank". You see how this conversation was going. He could do this all day. I guess it's good that he understands money but can't we just talk about Star Wars again?

9 comments:

sugar said...

ah, the days of innocence go by too fast. seems like my 21 yr. old little boy was born like yesterday. enjoy him!

J said...

next time he wants to talk about sex just throw some cash at him.

The Mrs. said...

Hysterical. Sounds like you have a real smarty on your hands!

Michelle said...

OMG! LOL I would have probably stuttered myself to death over that answer.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

How cute! A mini Alex P. Keaton in the making, maybe?

amy (metz) walker said...

lol...not sure what I would have said to that one! Too funny that kids always seem to pick out the stuff you least want them to notice.

Love your blog!

dmmlandcruiser said...

I am married to an OB/GYN Those specific topics are his territory!!

AndreaLeigh said...

Hello! I stumbled upon your blog and just wanted to say hello to a fellow Charleston girl. Sounds like you have quite the little man! How smart of him!

Jen said...

I used to listen to the 80s station on Sirius radio in my classroom (before the computer-Nazis cut me off), and I was always afraid "I Want Your Sex" would come blaring out while I was tied up across the room. Never happened, but it definitely kept me on my toes!